Monday, March 10, 2008

Less than 12 hours

Well it is 12:31am. I just finished purchasing the much needed travel health insurance and registering with the US Embassy. The travel insurance I found out about on the Families for Russian and Ukrainian Adoption website. It covers you for all medical care while you are abroad and for any emergeny evacuation if needed. Most health care policies will reimburse you, but you are responsible to pay up-front. For less than $100 for all of us, we are covered. So many things I never thought about.
We are pretty much packed except for what we will need in the am. I am going to pack some food for the travel, not sure what will be available and when. We will have a four hour layover at JFK, not sure how the whole customs thing works, but will find out. I think they search(unpack) all your luggage and carry-ons. We were advised to take zip ties in our carry on's, so we can secure all our checked bags right after customs. Some families have experienced some pilfering of things. If I went through all the trouble to remember to pack something, it sure better be there when I get to my destination.
We are leaving DTW at 1:30pm and will arrive in Kiev(kyiv) the following day at 11:30am. Kyiv is 7 hours ahead of us, and the weather is surpising similar to what we have here.
The next post should be coming to you from far away country of Ukraine.
P.S. T's roller hockey team won tonight. He was happy, since it will be his last game for awhile.

No comments: