Friday, March 28, 2008

Introducing The Pode Brothers

Today was court and the judge approved the adoption. K will now be known as Konstantin Pode or as we call him, Kostya Pode. Unfortunately, while the children's house representative and the social worker endorsed our request for immediate execution, and while the judge and the prosecutor agreed that we had good reason...due to the current auditing situation, they were unable to grant the immediate execution and unable to waive the 10 day waiting period. Bummer. It was definitely a bittersweet afternoon. We have been waiting 1-1/2 years, so the extra 10 days shouldn't be a big deal...just a disappointment. We were hoping to leave court today and be heading home with both of our boys. sigh!!!!
By the time we were done with court, it was already 4pm. Then it was off to find a photographer to take kostya's new passport photo. The photo shop had a candy jar on the counter and between Trevor, Little Kostya, Big K, and Dad, I think it was emptied by the time we left. Since we had Kostya, we went out to dinner before we had to take him back to the orphanage. (He will not be able to leave the orphanage until the final decree is signed at the end of the 10 days, which is April 8.) The choice for dinner was the pizzeria that has the playscape. Since it was Friday night, it was very crowded and must have been "the place" to be. We took Kostya back to the orphanage about 7pm.
While we were hoping the 10 days would be waived, we also talked about what we would do if they weren't waived. Trevor and I will be returning home and Dad will be staying here until he can take possession of Kostya and come home. It was a hard decision to make, but Trevor needs to get back to school and I have paperwork and things that need to be done both at home and work. Trevor was becoming bored and a little frustrated at only being able to see Kostya at certain times each day. He doesn't understand why he has to stay at the orphanage when we have been made his family. I understand the legal reasonings, but it really doesn't make sense to me either. So we wait...and hope the next 10 days fly by.
I have been online checking out available flights for Trevor and me. We originally were scheduled to fly out Sunday night, but since court was on Friday and I have things to sign at the US Embassy in Kiev before I leave, we are trying to fly out on Tuesday. If things work as planned...we should be home late Tuesday night. I told Trevor I will not make him go to school on Weds, especially since we will not get home until after midnight. Tomorrow I will sign the orphanage release papers. Big k has said he will play soccer with the boys again before we have to leave, so maybe we will do that tomorrow. I have forms to download from the Embassy so I can get them ready for D, so we will be off to the internet cafe tomorrow. That is the only place with a printer.
Trevor is a little worried about D so I will be leaving a lot of detailed lists for D to follow. Anyone who know us knows that I am the details person and D is the go-along one. He hasn't even learned how to use the cell phone we were provided. He will need to know how to get online so he can email us. He will need to cook if he is going to eat...there are no McD's or Arby's on the corner. I am certain he is capable, but we have not been apart this long since we were married almost 13 years ago. He will need to know how to use the washing machine(lol). There are lots of lists to be made before Trev and I leave.
I am posting a picture of Trevor and Kostya...now that the court had made its decision, I am able to post a picture of his face.
I will write more soon.

2 comments:

Val :) said...

Yippeee!!! I am so happy for all of you!!!

Dima's family has great news too!!

PTL

pammie said...

cant wait to see you , i am having sue with drawls